The Beatles Story Museum, Albert Dock, Liverpool Jun 14, 2009 15:38:20 GMT -5
Post by yerblues1968 on Jun 14, 2009 15:38:20 GMT -5
THE BEATLES STORY
The Beatles Story is an exhibition and museum dedicated to the leading 1960s group The Beatles. It is based in Albert Dock, Liverpool, England.
HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM
The Beatles Story is located on Liverpool’s historic Albert Dock. The attraction opened in 1990 and has since welcomed over two million visitors from around the world.
At the Beatles Story, the story of the rise of the 1960s band The Beatles is told. There is an audio guide narrated by John Lennon's sister, Julia.
The story begins at Woolton Village Fete, where Paul McCartney tells how he first met John Lennon. On view are some of the original instruments played by John and his Skiffle band and the Casbah Coffee Club.
Three years later, the band was in Hamburg, Germany. John, Paul, George, Stuart and Pete played as The Beatles at the Star Club.
Next the story moves back to Liverpool and the Cavern Club at the height of the Merseybeat era, with recollections from Cavern Club regulars.
London is the next stop with a behind the scenes look at Abbey Road Studios, hearing how George Martin almost rejected The Beatles before jetting off to the USA and the hysteria of Beatlemania.
The history behind the groundbreaking Sgt. Pepper album is presented, followed by an underwater experience in the Yellow Submarine.
Finally, the break-up of the band, the role they played in the overthrow of the Soviet Union, their solo projects and the legacy of The Beatles are covered.
The North End Music Store (NEMS). Photo by Beatles Story.
OTHER KEY HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
* John Lennon's iconic round spectacles
* Brian Epstein describes his first impressions of the Beatles
* George Harrison's first ever guitar
* The world's only 'blue' White Album
* A never before heard interview with Paul McCartney
* The emotional and evocative White Room
The White Room. Photo by Beatles Story.
The Beatles Story exhibition is accompanied by a gift shop with a wide selection of official Beatles merchandise and souvenirs, including everything from records, CDs, and various other memorabilia.
The Beatles Story has announced that it is planning a major expansion programme, which will more than double the existing floor space to provide new exhibition areas and improved visitor facilities, expected to open in spring 2008 to coincide with the city’s year as European Capital of Culture.
THE PLANNED EXPANSION WILL INCLUDE:
* Rooms celebrating the solo careers of George and Ringo, in response to the wishes of many visitors. There will also be a number of improvements made to the existing Paul and John rooms.
* A “hands-on” interactive Children’s Learning Centre — this is part of the Beatles Story’s commitment to life-long learning and will greatly enhance the visitor experience for both school groups and families.
* A “family friendly” version of the Living History audio guide.
* A new temporary exhibition space to host themed changing exhibitions throughout the year.
* A café and relaxation area to complete the experience.
* Improved orientation area with enhanced group facilities.
The Beatles Story footage. (1.50 minutes)
The Beatles Story museum corporate video. (6:34 minutes)